Skip to main content

Intermittent ORA-06502 error when running APEX 5 on 12c

We upgraded our environment from 11.2 to 12c last week. This week we noticed an error in one of our APEX pages, a rather simple form for entering data. Nothing fancy, nothing spectacular - only a spectacular error when you tried to edit a record. 
Running the page in debug mode (even on LEVEL9) wasn't very helpful as you can see below (10 points who immediately spots the error!).
The error didn't occur for all records. It seems that a long(er) Code and Description field on the page resulted in an error more frequently. Also fiddling with a couple of the checkbox fields on the page had an effect.
So I asked Twitter for help. And within a few minutes I got all kinds of tips and advice. But especially one, from Peter Raganitsch was spot on. He suggested, looking at the debug output above, to take a look at the #CLOSE# position in the template. .
My buttons are positioned in that #CLOSE# position, so I took a closer look at those. There were three that passed the Id, Code and Description to other pages as a parameter. So ... the longer the description ... the longer the generated URL would be. And as one of the checkboxes would toggle the availability of one of the buttons, that would also have an effect on the total length of the URL's in that region position. 
So I changed a little code, to pass only the Id's to the other pages (and add a select statement there to (re)fetch the Code and Description. And since then ... it runs as a breeze.

Very weird though this was not on issue on 11.2, but is on 12c....

So what causes this issue, what is the difference?
The answer is: the checksum!

If I create a Report and a Form on DEMO_CUSTOMERS, using the CUSTOMER_ID as the Primary Key, the URL has this checksum on 11.2 : " &cs=3Fqn7QOYkP-TDSLkssvzU7i7QL1E "
On 12c however, the checksum is :" &cs=36Drf3ULxGXswIlT5btBujofcmgwdjJsr-luSfpLjSMpXP71DILliWBz31qkpRJHyPj2RS8iLce5qNkXSSeGbvQ "
And that was probably enough extra length to pass a certain varchar2(<some number here>) in the APEX code that generates the page output....


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Showing a success message after closing a modal dialog

APEX 5 comes with Modal Dialogs out of the box. Very neat. Especially for adding and changing data. And to minimise the number of time a user has to click, it could be useful to add a "Close Dialog" process after the actual data processing. When the data processing fails, the Dialog stays on top showing the error. When data processing runs fine, the Dialog is closed ... without any confirmation. And this might be scary for a shaky user.

So how can we provide the user some feedback? On Page 4 of the Sample Dialog Application you can see one solution: up on a Dialog Closed Event on the parent page it does a redirect to refresh the parent page appending the success message of the "Close Dialog" process. This has two drawbacks. First, it probably refreshes more than necessary. And second, if you're using multiple layers of dialogs (dialogs that open other dialogs) the message appears in the "parent dialog".
As an alternative you could follow these steps: 1…

APEX 5 New Static File Features

In APEX 4 you could upload files - like CSS files, JavaScript files, Images and whatever else you like - into the APEX Repository. When you navigate to Shared Components, there is a Files section that offers three different options:
CSS Files are always uploaded (and changed !) for the whole Workspace. For Images and Static Files (usually JavaScript) you could choose whether they should be available for the whole Workspace or for a specific Application only. And if you had a lot of files - e.g. a lot of images - then you had to go through the upload process one-by-one. But that's usually a one time only thing. If you make changes to the CSS and JavaScript files - and that's a continuous process in development - then you had to delete the existing file and upload the new one. Over and over again. And meanwhile fighting the cache of the webserver and your browser.  And another irritating issue: You couldn't use relative references in your CSS or JavaScript files as they just…

Using LDAP for Authentication and Authorization within APEX

One of my current customers would like to use their LDAP (Microsoft Active Directory) server for authentication and authorization of APEX applications. Of course we tried to set up a standard LDAP Authenication that's available within APEX. But we couldn't get that to work. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the client stored their Users within Groups within Groups within .... . Or maybe it doesn't do a full tree walk in the directory. Or maybe it is just because it is Microsoft - and not Oracle Internet Directory (OID). So we moved to a custom Authentication using the DBMS_LDAP functions (and some examples from the Pro Oracle Application Express book and Tim Hall - a.k.a. Oracle Base).

One of the issues we encountered that we wanted to use the user's login name, like "jdoe" and not his full name ("John Doe"). And the login name is stored in the "sAMAccountName" attribute. But authenticating using just "jdoe" didn't work. …